Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oh pity, self pity. How i've forgotten how you burden me

Well God revealed today another one of my problems. Seems like their continually pouring out of my head. Kinda wonder when they'll stop but also hope they never stop. I never wanna be happy with where i'm at. I want to be content in Christ but i also never want to willingly stop growing. Growth is what brings us closer to Christ. Our growth will never end till our final day.

Philippians 1:6
"6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ"

Well as you've guessed by the title self pity has been my burden of the day. It's something i hadn't really had to confront since high school. I hate to do the pity party unload but there has to be a context. High school i was never the priority. picked last. always the last to be invited to hang out. always the tag along. At least that's how i felt. I pitied myself in the woe is me kind of mentality. The root of self pity is ignoring all the blessings you have and focusing on the one thing you don't have. The verse that i've found most helpful in times of self pity is

1 Thessalonians 5:18
"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

When you feel sorry for yourself instead turn to God and look for the things in your life that he has blessed you with and thank him.

I found a few quotes from a website that prove very true

"Self-pity and making excuses are the soil that
nourishes our sin. Whoever wants to be set free from
his sin must pull it out of this soil no matter how
high the price."

This post feels scrambled but i hope it makes at least some sense. I need to sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment