Thursday, March 3, 2011

Is it weird that i don't like flirting?

I thought all guys loved to flirt? Why is it that i hate it so much? I'll go out of my way to give completely vanilla answers and make vanilla conversation just to not lead a girl on. If they're interested and i have zero interest in return I wont go out of my way to be nice, not because i wanna be a jerk but because I don't want to hurt anyone. I don't wanna start teasing, and playing and let them suddenly know. Sorry lady, not really interested, just like to play the game.

I guess where i take Biblical application from is honoring women. I want to honor women not only with giving them a respectful physical distance but also with how i speak and in my actions.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 says

"For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God"

in the whole context it specifically talks about sex but controlling your body isn't limited to physical affection, sex, etc. Controlling your body also means controlling your lips, your mouth, your speech, your thoughts. If i'm not able to honor you with basic human interaction what makes you think I will honor you when the interactions become stronger and more forward?

Flirting is defined in Merriam-Webster dictionary "a) to behave amorously without serious intent, or b) to show superficial or casual interest or liking."

Flirting is most of the time described as "harmless." To put it bluntly however. Despite how I or anyone else would defend themselves the man who is flirtatious is considered to be a womanizer, someone not interested in serious relationship and a flirtatious woman will develop a reputation of promiscuity whether she is or not, and as a reaction other women will look at her as a threat and lose respect for her.

We are called as Christians to show the love of Christ through our behavior

Ephesians 5:1-2

"Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

When you show affection or love or lead someone on who is already struggling with lust (we all do guys, all the time) we further lead them into sin and make their struggle more difficult.

Matthew 18:7

“Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to sin! Such things must come, but woe to the man through whom they come!"

This means that, yes, sin will come but the man who leads the other into sin is just as wrong if not more in the wrong than the man who sinned.

I dont wanna be a flirt. I want to honor not only women but everyone with my speech and actions. It is a struggle but through trust in Christ I will succeed.

I'll leave you with Phillipians 4:8

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

1 comment:

  1. You make some good points, Zach. And you're right, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 addresses a great deal more than just the physical relationships. I also liked that you pointed out the fact that, as Christians, we have a responsibility to protect each other from temptation. So very true! Keep thinking; keep writing. I look forward to reading future blogs!

    ReplyDelete