Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Are you sure there is tomorrow?

"We do not segment our lives, giving some time to God, some to our business or schooling, while keeping parts to ourselves. The idea is to live all of our lives in the presence of God, under the authority of God, and for the honor and glory of God. That is what the Christian life is all about." --R. C. Sproul

This is all brought to mind by the thought of death. It's been weighing on me today particularly. Not really sure why it was the topic of the day but maybe it had something to do with a recent attendance to a friends grandmother's funeral. I didn't even know the woman, she'd lived a long full life till 82, and she was a well loved Christian.
Nothing was out of the ordinary. Nobody could say she was taken too early and everyone was at peace with the knowledge she'd be in a better place.

This funeral awakened my memory to a time earlier this year that i had almost completely tucked away even though it was huge at the time. I had just gotten these sweet, fantastic, awesome pedals and shoes for my bicycle and I was ready to crush the world with my underdeveloped, scrawny legs. Ok, i overdid it with the adjectives but it'll just happen sometimes.

Cruising home, getting ready to cross the intersection and out of nowhere a blue mustang darts in front of me. I heard the crunch, I felt the impact, but my world was black. I opened my eyes, which slowly focused as i found myself face down on the pavement. I tried to move but felt weak. I wanted to push through but i heard a scream from a man. "Dont move! you don't know what condition your body is in and you're bleeding out of your head." It all worked out but i realized one important thing that day while in the ambulance to the hospital. God had spared my life. I could have been, should have been, dead. God spared me.

I guess it made me realize, death doesn't wait. God doesn't wait till you've got everything in order before he takes you from the world. God doesn't even tell you when you're gonna die. The passage that comes to mind that exemplifies this the most to me is

Matthew 24:42-51.

I wont quote it in it's entirety but the most important part:

"42Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. 44Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect."

So many people live their lives as if their is gonna be a tomorrow. In school it was called procrastination and we would always laugh. "whoops i procrastinated." There is no time to waste committing your all to Christ. Christ talks about those who are lukewarm in

Revelation 3:15-17:

"15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked."

There isn't a guarantee. I wish i could sleep tonight knowing that i'd wake up and be able to spend another day loving my Lord and Savior and enjoying friends and family. Regardless that there is no guarantee of tomorrow I am at peace. I know I am at peace with God and I know that if he took me tomorrow I'd be with him in Heaven. That's a peace i wouldn't trade for the world.

I'll leave you with my favorite passage of reassurance,

Proverbs 3:5-6

" 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight."

No comments:

Post a Comment